Thursday, December 31, 2015

A Single Word

A couple of days after Christmas, sitting in Rosemarie's room with the main lights off, classical carols on the radio, stroking her arm and looking at her tired, lovely face in the glow of the Christmas lights draped across the pictures and TV on the wall. 

It is nearly time for me to go. She has been quiet, still recovering from the chest infection, but less distressed than previously. and the jolting is only mild and irregular. I have been chatting to her and occasionally she will chuckle apropos absolutely nothing that I said or did.

I put my coat on and tidy the room, telling her as usual that I will be back to see her the following day. I stroke her face and kiss her gently. "Goodbye my love. Sleep well and be better in the morning." 

I open the door and walk into the hallway. I turn and start to close the door, looking at her lying there. Usually she just stares into space, but tonight she is watching me. I blow her a kiss and say "Bye, my love."

She moves her head slightly and opens her mouth.

"Bye"

Unbelievably precious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home