Friday, July 24, 2015

Rain

A tough ten days.

On the plus side: no more fits (we think) and Rosemarie is a lot more communicative and smiles and laughs a lot more. 

On the minus side: frequent exaggerated arm and leg movements, leaning far over to her left or forward, going stiff as a board and threatening to tip over the wheelchair. Getting hot and distressed and pulling her hair and clothes.

Each day is different - I never know what I am going to find.

The annual Strawberry Fair was held at the Care Home last Sunday; last year Rosemarie loved it: this year not so much. Maybe it was the alternating bright sunshine and cloudy wind, the general noise level or the UTI she is still suffering from, but she didn't really enjoy it at all and most of the pictures I took show a frightened and distressed Rosemarie. 

The Care Home staff are worried that she will hurt herself or someone else and so are starting to put her to bed if they think she is upset or jolting too much. While I don't object to this as a strategy to calm her down I don't want her to become bedridden. I suspect a lot of the time she is unhappy in the lounge and most of the time she benefits from being taken somewhere different and quieter. That can include her room but I don't want it to become the standard option. The other day she was got up at 10 but put back to bed at 11.30 and was still there when I arrived at 4.00 pm. She was quite calm and appeared happy but I think that is a reason to get her up again not leave her there. I had a word with Good Nurse and I think the message will get through.

I took a few days off to take Celia back to Derbyshire and spend a couple of days unwinding: it didn't really work. I know I get tired and stressed but I can't seem to relax even when I know friends and family are covering. Derbyshire is beautiful and peaceful and Celia is a lovely hostess but somehow it seems like cheating - Rosemarie can't take a few days off.

Tonight she was ok when I arrived and I took her downstairs to the lower ground floor lounge and sat with her and looked out at the garden while feeding her pieces of pineapple. She was chatting and occasionally laughing. And jolting.

The rain was falling heavily in giant wet drops that splashed noisily off the concrete of the terrace. The plants swayed and bent in the downpour and rivulets of water chased each other down the window. The sky was dark grey and heavy.

It seemed to mean something.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home