Saturday, November 07, 2015

Alone Again

Rosemarie had another fit yesterday morning.

It happened while they were changing her at about 7 in the morning. About a minute of convulsions followed by five minutes of clenched teeth and rolling eyes. She fell asleep almost immediately and slept for about two hours.

Good Nurse phoned me about 9.30 to tell me. She had made sure Rosemarie was ok and had called the doctor and spoken to him. Rosemarie was awake and taking some juice from one of the care workers, and seemed to be unaffected by the fit. She was very sleepy and went back to sleep almost immediately and slept through lunch. 

I arrived mid afternoon and she was awake. I must say she did not look unaffected to me. She was lying on the bed, twisting and pulling at the duvet and her nightdress, and making low grunting noises. The chattiness and interest in her surroundings was gone and to me she looked frightened and agitated. 

I was not able to calm or reassure her. She showed no interest in the new ballet DVDs I had brought her, although she could be persuaded to eat some melon pieces. She would not hold my hand and pulled away if I tried to kiss or hug her.

Nobody seems to think the fit was caused by the increase in the Sertraline dosage but we will have to monitor it closely. The logical part of my mind ticks away...

But I am more desperate than ever to be able to communicate with her and it is less possible than ever. It must have been very frightening for her, regardless of how much she understands about what is happening. 

She must feel very alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home