Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Fluid For Thought

Much to chew over. 

Rosemarie seemed to do OK without the drip. Fluid intake hovered around 800-1000 ml and over the course of the week her food intake climbed laboriously. She seemed happier without the drip (understandably) but I was worried that she was now undershooting the fluid target so significantly and would wind up dehydrated again.

Another blood test Friday and we got the results yesterday. Despite my fears sodium level was actually down to 144 from 145 and all the other indicators were good.

So what's going on? How long does dehydration take to affect the sodium level? Somebody somewhere knows, but that doesn't include anyone I have spoken to or anything I have so far found on the internet. 

Or the dietician's figures are higher than actually applies to Rosemarie, and she is stable at her current fluid intake levels. This is the answer I think her assigned GP inclines to, and he has requested a reassessment. 

She has also contracted another UTI, and this I think was the explanation for her twisting and contorting on the bed over the last few days. I understand it is painful anyway; it must be a lot worse with a catheter in. She started Amoxycillin monday night and seemed already to have improved a little today.

This manifests itself in more reaction, sitting more upright, and intermittently being willing to take fluid and food. Chocolate Trifle went down quite well today, and the guava and mango juice I bought to replace the boring orange and apple juice are popular as well.

The jolting is present but intermittent, and occasionally looks rather like attempts to hit me. I get no smiles any more, and there is less laughter. There are occasional quite clear communications, usually variations on 'NO, DON'T' and she makes it abundantly clear when she does not want another mouthful of food.

The Palliative Care nurse called in today and everyone agreed that Rosemarie was being discharged, although she can be referred again with a single phone call.

There have been no seizures since the 3rd April and the jolting is not getting worse. She seems to be eating and drinking more safely (more alert) although I have reservations about the speed she is fed by a couple of the care workers.

I really want to be positive but a large part of me is waiting for the inevitable next chest infection.

Much to think about. But not tonight. Bed calls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home