Saturday, December 28, 2013

This isn't working

I don't know why I thought I was going to have enough time to update this blog regularly and record daily details. It seemed a good idea at the time, but what I hadn't allowed for was how little private free time I was going to get. It's not so much that I don't want her reading over my shoulder (she wouldn't be able to read it anyway) but I prefer to spend time on these and get it right. For me that means rewrites and tweaking and requires peace and quiet and privacy. That sounds really pretentious and may not survive the first rewrite.

If I am honest I could probably manage my time a bit better but I have a lukewarm commitment to this blog because I doubt if anyone else reads it and I am not entirely sure how much of this I will want to read through in the future.

But my sister Margaret, has written a very good blog about her battle against cancer, and I was chatting to her at the annual Boxing Day family gathering. She said she found it cathartic and encouraged me. I haven't found this so far but we will see.

The other thing I found unexpectedly difficult was what to do about names. Do I use everyone's real name (Social Workers, Consultants etc.), or use mysterious initials, or just use their titles?

Details. Details.

Anyway, Christmas was good. We went to our daughter's new house and spent Christmas Day with her and her fiancé's family. Very nice people (most of whom we were meeting for the first time) who were kind and understanding and showed no sign of feeling awkward around Rosemarie. We stayed the night and spent most of Boxing Day there (my side of the family arrived). There was something deeply touching about being in an environment where there were so many warm, concerned, considerate and understanding people. I was quite overwhelmed. This is not to cast aspersions on the Day Centres Rosemarie goes to, whose staff are wonderful in my experience, but there is just something more intimate about a family gathering. Stupidly I thought it would be an imposition. I often find myself lecturing others on their duty to allow people to be wonderful, but I have a bad habit of not listening to myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home